Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Extreme Recycling: The Freegan Way of Life



In an effort to stay productive in my cube, I partake in a daily marathon of web surfing with the intent to learn something new. And today, I did just that. I honestly have no idea how I found this topic but somehow I landed on "freegans". Basically, they're a new and more extreme generation of dumpster divers on bikes and to be honest they scare me just a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm as devoted as the next guy when it comes to recycling. Unless the next guy is one of THESE guys. I've smelled my garbage can... it smells like something crawled up and died in there. I can't say with perfect certainty I wouldn't go rummaging around in there for food scraps if it came down to it but these people aren't even poor. They're just disgusted by how wasteful we are and the majority of us are disgusted with their choice of recycle methods. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS SANITARY AMERICA: stop wasting so these people won't dig through the garbage anymore.
Although I'm not going to run out to join them anytime soon, it is encouraging and certainly makes us all think twice about recycling on a smaller scale which is a start!

No comments: