Now I can look at you in peace; I don’t eat you anymore.
—Franz Kafka, while admiring fish in an aquarium
I can totally relate (for now...). Even as I passed by the bubba burgers and chicken cutlets at the commissarry, I couldn't help but feel a little high and mighty about my mission. Hopefully after this experiment is over, I won't feel too bad about a burger or some cheese every now and then...
But before we end, we must begin!
Less than 24 hours after writing about all the things I'm going to miss
about being an animal product-eater (including every kind of cheese on
the face of the earth... forgot to mention that one) and what I'm
excited to try during my 5 days vegan, some readers helped to dispell my fears and fill in my
limited knowledge on the subject! A few additions:
1. There IS such a thing as soy yogurt. It's not as think as greek
yogurt but with some pumpkin puree, nuts, and granola... word on the
street is it can be quite tastey (thanks AMY!)
2. Almond milk is delicious, just make sure it isn't processed with
the same equiptment as dairy products (Thanks EVAN!) And apparently
they make coconut and soy creamers for coffee (yayy, now I don't have
to fall asleep on the way to work this work, thanks AMY!)
3. Breads: Contrary to my suspicions that the bread options are
limited, there are actually quite a few varieties of vegan breads! For
example: Ezekiel Bread and a little Earth Balance buttter (Thanks
GEMMA!) Also, try the farmer's market for all kinds of vegan bread
including but not limited to FRENCH BREAD (Boom. proof there is a
God...)
4. Eggs: Tofu scramble and flax eggs for baking to help fill the void
of eggs (AMY and GEMMA)
Lesson learned... there is a vegan substitute for just about anything,
just google it or ask an exerienced vegan :)
Here are rations for snacking I whipped up in the kitchen/picked up at
the grocery store!
VEGAN OATMEAL COOKIES
http://www.dailygarnish.com/2011/12/vegan-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies.html
No comments:
Post a Comment