Saturday, January 19, 2013

Education, and it comes with a view!

Not too shabby for an evening walk home from school.
What a week of learning it has been!

I learned some new spanish words (my favorite of which is mantequilla de mani- peanut butter... everyday for lunch :)

Learned how to make the staple dish of this country (gallo pinto- rice and black beans, which we eat at EVERY dinner. Ashley, I think you would really like it here.) Monica showed me how much rice, oil, water, garlic, onion, and red bell pepper is needed to make the perfect arroz por gallo pinto.. don't forget the salt!!

And learned how to understand people from Italy, Japan, South Korea, Nepal, etc. (or at least pretend how to) when they talk in class and more importantly how to talk slow so that Sarah (He-eun) doesn't ask me to slow down because she can't understand Americans when they talk so fast haha

And finally, that Costa Ricans love American music, especially from the 80's and 90's. Savage Garden, Macy Grey, and Celion Dion are still very much in their prime here. More recently Gangam Style has also taken hold here as it has the world over. Steven (age 6) "knows" every word... I have yet to convince him to do the gangam style dance for us but I know he knows it and really it is only a matter of time and ice cream before he finally cracks! :)




No comments: