Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Kayaking in the Mangroves

At the behest of one of the girls on the trip with us (she's the "planner"... if she's got a plan, that will be THE plan)... we went on a kayak tour of the mangroves. I have to admit it was kind of cool and relatively educational at first. Then it just got downright miserable. With the rain then the bugs and the fact that we were two paddles short so the two-man kayaks only got one paddle... I was ready to get back on dryland in the first 20 minutes of our 2 hour journey... and I was quite vocal about it too. 
"Okay, I think that's all for me...
Seriously, it's almost over right? ...
How about this, I'll double what I paid you for this tour if it can be over right now...."

To focus on the positives... 

we got to see a bunch of crabs crawling around the mangroves ... thousands... everywhere!!!!

we were provided with a snack of fresh pineapple and watermelon which our guide cut up with a huge knife while in his kayak... so fresh! and what skill! After eating the watermelon we used to outsides as makeshift paddles... to get us out of there faster. 

one student lost his glasses into the water while trying to smack the bugs away from his face... I lost a headband that way, luckily it floats and was salvaged from the water!!! HUZZAH. 

and finally, nothing can form a bond quite like sharing a trip through hell and back... I feel much closer to  my fellow kayakers as a result of our mutual misery :)

by the end we knew... we were never coming back there again... Jeni's solution to the swarms of bugs on her face. 

No comments: