Today my fellow intern, Lisa, and I got out of the office to help the Snackin' Fresh Team harvest produce from two gardens (tended to by middle school aged kids in Philly). We set up a farmstand outside of one of our Healthy Corner Stores, slapped some rediculously inexpensive price tags on that produce, and sold it to the community.
The community gets cheap produce and the kids make some money to invest back into the garden. Everybody wins! Including me... I tried a cherry tomato seconds off the vine and it wasn't bad considering I hate tomatos. AND, at the end of the farmstand we had some kale, serrano peppers, and basil left so I bought it. Lots of produce for only $3... best prices in town! I made kale chips, a smoothie with my fresh picked kale, and some Giardiniera (pickled hot peppers and other vegetables, like the kind you see in jars at restaurants. Fingers crossed it works!)
 |
| Fresh Picked Produce |
 |
| Doesn't Get Much Fresher |
 |
| Greg posing with his pride and joy... that's one fantastic eggplant. |
 |
| Snackin' Fresh Crew keepin' it real in the fruit costumes. |
No comments:
Post a Comment