Monday, July 4, 2011

DAYS 363-365, June 30-July 3, 2011





Back to where this little adventure started; a weekend of 4th of July camping! This year we went to Douthat State Park (so everytime the Garmin gave us a wrong direction dad would respond "I douthat is right" ... "turn left" ... "I douthat...") There were quite a few bugs but we made more memories than I have bug bits and that my friends, speaks volumes. We took plenty of walks around the lake to get a close-up look at the dam, walked around Covington and Clifton Forge (that didn’t take too long… small towns), talked with Camp Host Dave every day, and did a bit of driving to see 2 swinging bridges and 1 covered bridge. Fun fact: there are 5 covered bridges in VA and 3 of those 5 are on private property so getting to see Humpback Bridge was a real treat! Chance got a lot of swimming in so she was pretty tired at the end of the day. We also stopped by a Farmer's Market where there was a lady selling teddy bears made of alpaca and she brought along some of her little critters in a trailer. They saw Chance and were very curious, following her with their eyes everywhere she went and letting out the occasional grunt (that's the only word I can think of to describe the noise they made) Most importantly, it’s safe to say I mastered the art of S’more making (seriously, I’m no cook but I can make a mean s’more.) All in all, a successful camping trip. I think the best part was the escape from technology; in particular computers that refuse to work, telephones blowing up every 5 seconds, and headlines of what’s-her-face Anthony every time you turn on the TV. Back to real world.

No comments: