Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Meet my new friends, Julie & Julia

First let me preface this post by saying Porter Library is one of my favorites places. If I ever lost my wallet then found it again I would check for my credit card, my ID, then my library card (clearly I've thought about it). Strange, I know, but it always has been and probably always will be one of my choice locations for chill time. Honestly any library really. Something about being surrounded by some much potential knowledge to be gained. Oh dear, is my nerdiness showing? I digress.

This weekend my mother and I somehow landed on WETA's tribute to Julia Child which reminded me I really wanted to see that movie Julie and Julia when it came out but being the frugal person I am decided to just wait for redbox. No such luck so I searched it on the Porter Library Card Catalog and huzzah! 3 out of their 4 copies was checked out. The third was on the shelving cart. Destiny? I think yes. We checked it out, watched it, and enjoyed it very much. At points I squealed "oh yayy!" and clapped my hands like a small child at the circus.
Feeling particularly inspired and having a cooking task of my own to complete I finally got around to the Pure de Calabacin recipe my host family from Spain sent me weeks ago.

The next day we decided to make the chocolate cake featured in the movie (we conveniently had the cookbook in our over the stove cupboard!). It wasn't terribly complex but it was definitely a step-up from open box, bag, mix water, eggs, and oil, put in oven. Getting the egg whites and some sugar to make stiff peaks was the hard part but I left that to mother who conquered the egg whites like a champ. It came out and looked like what I would imagine the moon surface looks like; thats is, if the moon were made of almond, coffe, chocolate goodness.
With a sink full of dishes I couldn't help but smile. There's something satisfying about the dish pile vs. a Lean Cuisine box in the trash, and by something I mean chocolatey fluffy deliciousness. I am salivating just writing this post.
We didn't tear into it until 8:30pm (a daunting length of time to wait for chocolate for ANY girl but especially a Viars girl). I'm actually salivating just thinking about it. Bon appetit mes amis!

3 comments:

Ashley Viars said...

you are adorable. that is all.

Linda H. said...

IT WAS AMAZING!! Thanks for including me in the taste test!

AV said...

well of course! sharing is the best part!!!