Thursday, September 22, 2011

And the winner is......




As you may or may not have noticed this blog has been taken over by academic subjects which makes since if you think about me blogging about what goes on my life and the fact that all I do anymore is live, eat, and breathe school.
My senior seminar, as I mentioned previously, is on Nobel Peace Prize Laureates. What an excellent word, adding it to my list of fun words to say...
Today we made our predictions for who might win the prize this year. If one of us guessed right our professor is bringing us all breakfast. I don’t know much about the people and organizations in vogue on the peace scene at the moment so I employed my ever-trusty google but I’m not telling you what I found because I’m hoping this post will get you curious and you’ll google it yourself!!
How it works: Basically previous laureates and a bunch of other important people are invited to nominate people. The record of nominations stays confidential until 50 years after, so if you were really curious who was nominated in 1961 you are in luck my friend!! Then the committee (made up of some Norwegians) with the help of advisers make a shorter list then finally choose! The winner is announced on October 7 this year (fingers crossed for free breakfast) and then they receive the prize in December.

Cool huh?! So go pick your winner! It’s fun, like gambling but instead of large sums of money it’s either a bagel or no bagel… I’m not a risk taker…

For more info go here  http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/nomination/

No comments: