Saturday, June 23, 2012

Running Amuck



Last weekend, my mom and I did the Run Amuck run on Quantico Marine Base. The course was 3.5 miles and included 12 grueling obstacles (a bit dramatized). Waiting for our wave to start, we met a lady who had run before, we all got tired of waiting, and decided to start early with another wave.

Up stadium bleachers, through muddy tunnels, under camo tarps and criss-crossing strings crawling in the mud, running up and the down the biggest hills (plural... not 2 or 3... a lot!) I've ever run, jumping jacks, flutter kicks, through a row of marines with the pads they use to practice hits in football, quick steps through tires on the ground, climbing over hay stacks, up a high wooden wall and back down the other side, carrying stuff and running, wading through thigh deep mud pits and up the muddy walls that enclosed them. Slipping and sliding through mud and dirt and nature. The mud starting the dry and crack just in time for the final obstacle. A cargo net up a huge muddy hill.

The race ended with a ice-cold shower with a firetruck hose and a sprint through a blow-up arch. So fun! I think I'm officially addicted to obstacle runs, you're so focused on the obstacle you forget your running and before you know it, it's over!

No comments: