Saturday, June 23, 2012

vegan reflections



Dinner is the only hard part. By the time I get home I don't want to go to the store to find soy sausage to cook up a meal. Also, soy sausage: not that great. I can enjoy a boca burger or blackbean burger every now and then but I would rather eat vegetables all day than eat soy sausage. Basically, besides fruits and veggies, everything that is convenient is off-limits I feel. Vegetarian wouldn't be so bad because I really didn't miss meat very much at all. vegan is jeverything I love and the substitutes just don't cut it for me...

Even if I didn't succeed in being vegan for a week, I learned a lot of important lessons....

-I like almond milk in my oatmeal. It's sweet and delicious.
-Quinoa is yummy. eat this more (but first learn how to cook it properly)
-Eat more fruits and veggies (hooked on grapefruit and have a new appreciation for avocados)
-Bake delicious oatmeal cookies with banana instead of egg (I like them better with the banana flavor anyway!)
-I need to drink more water (when I was at work and ran out of vegan friendly food, I just drank water ...)
-I am hopelessly addicted to milk, ovaltine, greek yogurt, and baked goods... and I'm okay with it.
-Check the labels of your food, they put all kinds of crazy stuff in food these days!


In conclusion: It was an adventure. I like to try new things. I may never be a full-fledged vegan but I salute those who are. My promise to all the vegans out there: (place my right hand over the PETA pamphlet)

"I will try whenever possible to eliminate animals and incorporate plants from my meal-times. I'll pass on the bacon at breakfast and gorge on the ezekiel toast, stuff my pitas will sprouts, peppers, avocado, and cucumbers for lunch, and whip up some pasta with tomato sauce for dinner. I'll choose the vegan butter, use soy milk for cooking and vegan creamer for coffee, try the tofu scramble, and will even think twice when reaching for the honey and spring for the agave nectar instead. In the name of animals the world over I pledge. Amen. "

No comments: