Monday, January 28, 2013

How Resource-ful!

One of the first things I noticed when stepping off the plane in Costa Rica... it is so WINDY!!!!!! Luckily, Ciudad Colon has made use of the insane amount of wind by converting that energy into electricity using windmills on the mountian ridge shown in the photo below. You can't see them well in the picture but they're there... This was taken in "el centro" of Ciudad Colon and really they don't seem very far away from here. I was sorely mistaken... emphasis on the "sore".


Jeni and I made the trek up the mountain with two boys who live on our compound, Andres from Finland and Miles from Texas (Miles had hiked it before and was to be our guide). From the beginning I could tell it was not going to be a walk in the park but man I was not expecting a steep incline the entire 2 hours and 45 minutes to the windmills on different size gravel, boulders, and plenty of dusty dirt to get stuff in between my toes, on my legs, and in my nose when the wind blew.
Luckily, we had plenty of beautiful views to keep our minds off the drudgery.

We kept climbing higher and higher and higher!! Every 15 minutes or so I would be thinking "woah, look how high we are! They've got to be just over the next little hill!"... but there was always one more hill after that little hill until at last! They were in sight!!!! Of course we never would have made it this far without our trusty hiking sticks of bamboo...



We walked all the way up to one of them, had some lunch to celebrate our success, and began our descent. Hiking down was worse than going up with the gravel always sliding under your feet. And taxi drove past us once and I was seriously tempted to take it down the rest of the mountain but I was strong! I was so glad to finally be home, take a shower, and lay in my bed the rest of the day. My legs are killing me but I think it was worth the journey!