Monday, June 24, 2013

Exercising in a Sauna... Seems Logical...



Thanks to an awesome deal on Living Social, I attended my first ever hot yoga class at Hotbox Yoga in Manayunk, Philadelphia, PA. My first of 24 for $24... ($1 a class, how do they do it?!?!?!)...

Basically, the idea is to throw 50 people into a room heated to 90+ degrees and do some yoga. The first thing that came to mind as I crossed the threshold into the studio was, "hmm, balmy". I started sweating just straightening out my mat on the wood floor.

I was told to bring a towel for all the sweat, which I thought meant bring a hand towel to wipe your face or something. I figured I could just wipe it with my hand... I was wrong. I'm talking buckets of sweat over the 1 hour 15 minute class. Every inch of my skin was pouring sweat. Standing in Warrior 2, the breathe of the entire class combined as one, the only sound you could hear was the "drip drip drip" of sweat beads falling from outstretched arms to mats.

Second, they didn't just mean that every so necessary hand towel... turns out you need a bath towel to put on your mat for traction when it is covered in pools of your own sweat... try doing downward dog on your backyard slip n' slide and you will understand my dilemma. Let's just say I substituted a lot of downward dog with child's pose so I wouldn't slip and eat the floor.

Besides the whole towel fiasco, it was a great class! I learned a few new poses and fun words like "utkatasana". Excited for next time, towels in hand, and prepared for another session. Until next time, namaste ya'll :)

No comments: