Thursday, July 21, 2011

Kill them with Kindness

Let me start from the beginning. My battle with fossil watches began only recently but it has been a brutal one nonetheless. A few years ago my mom bought me a cute little fossil watch. I liked it but being the impulsive shopper I am, I saw a simple little fossil watch at an outlet store and just had to have it. I bought. I now have 2 fossil watches, are ya with me?
Fossil watch #2 and I enjoyed a solid 3-4 happy years together (aside from the fact you have to set off an A-bomb to get the back off when the battery dies.). Dependable, practical, and hello?! So fetch.

And then it happened. I went to set the time again and the little stem fell off. Panicked, I tried to shove it back on and try again but to no avail. Heartbroken, I sent it to get repaired for $8.50. It came back good as new! Or so I thougt... I took it to Spain and yet again it fell off, only a few months after the repair. Not cool, Fossil. This time the stem was lost forever and sea water had leaked in through the tiny hole sealing its fate with a salty grave. So I trashed it and mourned it for a few weeks then went back to my mom's purchase. Guess what happened next, THAT'S RIGHT! THE STEM FELL OFF. As you can imagine I was a little peeved. So that's two fossil watch fatalities by the same cause, still folowing?
I called the repair people and told her my saga. She told me I could have sent the first one in for a second time free then a third time for a Fossil gift certificate. Frustration bubbling up inside me. Then I tell her about the current watch dilemma and in so many words ask if it's even worth my $8.50 to send it in. At this point in the story most people start ranting about all kinds of things. This is where I ask, "why?". Surely she didn't build your watch and persuade you to buy it knowing it owould defect. Think about that the next time you yell at a waitress, she didn't even MAKE THE FOOD. Go ahead and be the lady or gentleman I know you are and kill them with kindness! Because even if people are rude to you, if you're nice it's makes it harder for them to hate you :)

No comments: