Friday, January 11, 2013

The Low Down on Dogs in Costa Rica

In Summary: I'm convinced there are more gods than people in this town... On the property here we have 5, on the walk to school dogs follow us in the streets with their tails wagging, bark at us from behind fences, and beg for food and hang out during lunch time on campus. Today I even saw one standing on a roof (sure,the houses here are usually one level and sometimes have a large hill in the back where the dog could have access to the roof... nonetheless I thought it was a bit unexpected!)

On campus, there are three dogs who are regulars. The one pictured below (Pluto) is one of my favorites. He looks like an oversized Dachshund with big paws and a huge head that looks like they belong to a Labrador Retriever. Today he managed to get into one of the classrooms during one of our thrilling orientation sessions... I'm pretty sure they all have fleas so I usually just pick up a stick to scratch their bellies with... you're cute, but not "I'm willing to get fleas" cute.




Our host mom said there is a big problem with too many dogs here. Most of the time they just roam the streets and with no owner to pick up their poop everytime they do their business, that leaves a good amount of land mines around town. Luckily, they usually have the courtesy of doing it in the grass where I don't really walk. She also said a lot of UPeace students end up adopting stray dogs that take a liking to them to bring them back to the states (don't worry mom, I already think flying is enough of a pain, I'm not about to jump through more hoops to bring home another pooch :)

Side Note taken word for word from student handbook.....

Always use certified mail. Students should instruct friends and relatives to address mail as follows:

University for Peace
Alyssa Viars
c/o Department of Academic Administration
University for Peace
P.O. Box 138-6100
San José, Costa Rica
Central America

For courier companies such as DHL or FEDEX please use the following address"
Alyssa Viars
C/o Department of Academic Administration
El Rodeo de Mora, Ciudad Colón
San José, Costa Rica
Tel: (506) 22-05-90-00

My own addition:

I've heard some stories about the mail being not so reliable and about the customs people being crooks so be cautious about what you send to Costa Rica in general, not just to me :)

1 comment:

mpm said...

Thank you for promising not to bring any dogs home. Love reading about your day and adventures. Keep them coming!
Love you, Mom